Analytics
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

Any possible ways to manually push referral path values to GA?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Fellas,

I am tracking my website in GA via GTM and I've an issue. I am pushing all my internal traffic into referral medium and source as my host name. But when I wanted to see which directories have given me traffic, I am not able get that. Even in referral path, it shows the value as (not set).

Is there any possible way to push into analytics may be like UTM parameters?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Bala 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Any possible ways to manually push referral path values to GA?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Bala,

I don't think that using GA campaign tags for internal traffic is a good idea. When GA records a new traffic source it starts a new visit so your data will get messed up and you'll loose the original source.
You can tag your internal links with custom parameters and these will appear in your content/pages reports. This way you'll see the nr. of pageviews how many times your tagged links were clicked.
You can also record internal link clicks as events with the details you want to collect.
Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Arnold,

I am having my websites as sub directories, like

xyz.com/product1, xyz.com/product2, xyz.com/product3, xyz.com/product4

and traffic from product1 to product2 will go as direct traffic since the domain name is same.

What I've done is, with help of {{Referrer}} (GTM Variable) I am checking the URL and if it contains my domain and other than the product sub-directory then i'm manually overwriting the medium as referral and source as my domain name. But the problem is I'm not able to get the actual product (sub-directory) as traffic source and even referral path also shows as (not set) value.

Is there any other solutions for this?

Thanks in Advance,
Bala

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Bala,

Direct traffic is when a user types in your site URL into the browser address bar and visits your site directly. When traffic from product1 goes to product2 is not direct traffic, it is internal traffic. You should never overwrite the source and medium data. You can see the previous page path and nr of page views from each previously visited page for each page in Behaviour -> Site Content -> All Pages report, select Previous Page Path for secondary dimension. Let me know if this helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Sorry for not pointing this, I am using separate properties for each sub-directories (product). Now traffic from one sub-directory to another (different properties) will won't be treated as internal traffic (I assume).

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Do you have your own domain added to the referral exclusion list for your properties? That causes self referrals to come up as direct.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Arnold, Sorry for the delay in reply. I have removed my domain in referral exclusion list.