2.3K members online now
Learn to identify referral spam traffic, as well as best practices to reduce referral spam in your Google Analytics account

Guide Me
star_border

Analytics Spam

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Google Analytics Genius Programmers!

Why can't you automatically block referrer spam from the analytics you provide?

All I see all day is rank-checker.online AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN

I know it's spam, you know it's spam - BLOCK IT

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Analytics Spam

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Agree with Ross F. Every month we receive referral traffic from non existing domains with 100% bounce rate. Ross you raise a big and important question. Google uses superior technology then why is happening with genuine websites.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Ross -

Have you selected the *Exclude all hits from known bots and spiders* from all your views, under view settings? This will help combat known bots and spiders and filter it out.

There are other ways to make sure your data is not polluted with spam from other hostnames - you can include a hostname filter to only filter data from your own hostname. Keep in mind that it is good practice to keep an unfiltered view to see all hits to your website. Plus, a test view to test filters on before implementing them on your reporting profiles.

Cheers,
Tiaan

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi Ross, this might help
https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Referral-Spam-Traffic/What-exactly-if-anything-is-Google-d...

Google Analytics Rising Star | Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.' Learn how here!
Analytics Consultant at Carloseo.com - Find me on Twitter | Email me