Analytics
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

widget filters for a group of cities?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi - I'm trying to create a "city" filter within a dashboard widget, but I'd like to include a block of about 10 cities. When I use the filter I can get it to work with a single city, but my data goes to zero as soon as I start adding multiple cities separated with commas or "|" characters. Any suggestions to include only data from a block of cities?

Also, i have about 10 widgets that i would like to apply this to simultaneously - is their a short cut for that? I know I can create segment that will kind of do this but I am already using other segments to cut the data, so i don't want to use segments. I want to see these existing segments applied within my geofiltered results.

At a high level, I basically want to create a geo filter for my whole dashboard which is defined as a block of cities. Please answer my top paragraph specifically, but then I am open to other solutions too.

Thank you!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: widget filters for a group of cities?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Dane J

When I use the filter I can get it to work with a single city, but my data goes to zero as soon as I start adding multiple cities separated with commas or "|" characters. Any suggestions to include only data from a block of cities?

Should use the pipe character | and regex as the match type.

I tried this with a couple of different widget types and had no issues with it working

Before applying filter:

city-dash01.jpg

Creating Filter:

city-dash02.jpg

After Filter Result:

city-dash03.jpg

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you! That worked - my problem was not using "regular expression" ... thank you again.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

You're welcome :-)

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here