AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

why do 2 views in a property give the same results?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

I created two views in a property. They give the same stats though. How is that possible and how can I change this? I ve used a view for www.hondenbaasjes.nl and one for the subdomain www.fransebulldog.hondenbaasjes.nl

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Femke M
November 2016

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi,

Yes, you need to set up a filter for each view in order to collect only the data you want to record.

Please go to Admin -> View -> Filters, click Add Filter, add a name, choose predefined, Include only, traffic to the hostname, that are equal to and put www.hondenbaasjes.nl to the Hostname field. Save and it's ready.

Do the same for the other view but this time put www.fransebulldog.hondenbaasjes.nl into the Hostname field.

It can take a few hours for the filters to take effect. Let me know if you managed to get it work.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

How did you set up the filters for each view?

You need to have an include only traffic to hostname filter set up for each view.

Please check the document below about view filters:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033162#PredefinedFilters

Let me know if you have questions.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

oef.. that's a bit difficult for a dummy like me Smiley Happy. Do you mean that once I have set up a view I not only have to adjust the basic settings but also have to change the filters? 

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey Femke,

If you set up the hostname filter (excluding and including) then the data won't be retroactive, so it'll be from when you set the filters up.

Ali

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Femke M
November 2016

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi,

Yes, you need to set up a filter for each view in order to collect only the data you want to record.

Please go to Admin -> View -> Filters, click Add Filter, add a name, choose predefined, Include only, traffic to the hostname, that are equal to and put www.hondenbaasjes.nl to the Hostname field. Save and it's ready.

Do the same for the other view but this time put www.fransebulldog.hondenbaasjes.nl into the Hostname field.

It can take a few hours for the filters to take effect. Let me know if you managed to get it work.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

ah thanks! Can do that!

Do I use equal to, begin with, contain or end with? 

Another question. i read that someone recommended to also implement a filter that contains both sites. How do I know what the request URl is? 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

and PS: how do I know if I do or do not have to use www.? 

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi,

I just checked your sites and they are accessible both with and without www. I see that the canonical URL is set to the non www version, ideally you'd need to 301 redirect the www version to non www. Because of this you won't be able to use predefined filters, you need to set up custom include filters. To do this please chose Custom instead of Predefined in the filter settings, then Include, Hostname and put the regular expression below into the pattern field for the first view.

^www.hondenbaasjes.nl$|^hondenbaasjes.nl$

For the second view use this regex:

^www.fransebulldog.hondenbaasjes.nl$|^fransebulldog.hondenbaasjes.nl$

This way your views will include visits from both www and non www versions.

Let me know if the above works.

In the view that included both sites you can set up a filter that adds the hostname to the reports, you can find the settings here:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1012243?hl=en

Please set up a new view for this, always keep an unfiltered view, it can happen that a misconfigured filter filters out all the data and there is no way to recover it.

Let me know if you have more questions. 

Re: why do 2 views in a property give the same results?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi still working on it! We ll implement the 301 redirect. Another question: of we transfer the website to https, does this have any implications for the settings? 

And why is all website data not equal to the sum of the two separate websites? 6+5 doesn t equal 16? Schermafbeelding 2016-11-29 om 13.07.15.png

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

i love you janu