Analytics
3.5K members online now
3.5K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

sub domain only view while excluding www

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Within our website, we have a subdomain for each organization we work with.  organization1.website.com,organization2.website.com, etc.  These are created as we add organizations and will grow to be in the hundreds. 

I'd like to track the data for those subdomains as a whole, while excluding our website, www.website.com. 

I've set up two views.  One to hold data for just www, and the other to track data for all other subdomains.  I'm a little new at GA, and have done some looking around, but can't really figure out the best way to do this.  Any help with best practice so I can learn is greatly appreciated. 

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ryan J
July 2016

Re: sub domain only view while excluding www

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

You need to set up an exclude filter for the organization subdomains view:
Predefined -> Exclude -> traffic to hostname -> that are equal to : www.website.com

For the website set up an Include Only filter:
Predefined -> Include Only -> traffic to hostname -> that are equal to : www.website.com

So basically you will exclude the www subdomain from the organizations view and include only the www subdomain in your website view. (www is also a subdomain like organization1, organization2...)

Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This is what I was looking for! 

With the "that are equal to", will this still show paths such as website.com/football, and website.com/soccer and what not? 

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Paths are tracked only for the hostnames that are not excluded.
Let me know if you have more questions.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital