Analytics
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports
 
Guide Me
star_border
Reply

filtering to include internal traffic not working properly

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

 

 

Hello,

 

I've setup a filter to include just the internal traffic for our company's public website by using our external IP address in an include custom filter (^xxx\.xxx\.xxx\.xxx$), but in my report, when I go to Geo -> Location I see traffic from other countries.  The report shows about 90% of the traffic is from our office location the remaining 10% is scattered around 33 other countries.  What am I doing wrong?

1 Expert replyverified_user

filtering to include internal traffic not working properly

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Left out one piece of information.

 

IP anonymization is enabled so I've tried using our external IP address with .0 for the last octet, and I've tried our full ip address.  They yielded the same results.

filtering to include internal traffic not working properly

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Patrick,

 

Two questions:

 

1: are you using GTM

 

2: Is the traffic from the other 33 countries legitimate, spam or otherwise?

 

Lastly,

 

With anonymize IP, the right approach is to set the last octet to 0 as you have done.  You should be seeing the information populate if you have the public IP correct. 

 

If your it folks can set it, you can have them name your public access point as well and then filter on service provider instead.

 

Best,

 

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn