AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

excluding a day from session traffic

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am new to this, but am interested in tracking session activity on my website.  However, occasionally I run "take over pages" of the local sports website (WEEI) which results in a one day increase from 40 page views to about 4000.  I want to be able to filter out these anomalous days so I can see general trends.  Anyone know how to do that?   

Re: excluding a day from session traffic

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Dear William,

It's unclear to me what "Take over pages" is (so it might influence the quality of my answer).
If the additional views are coming from a specific source (traceable one: certain IP, a link containing a specific tag, etc...), you can filter it out by applying a filter in (a) your configuration and in (b) your reporting.

If the additional views are random like the example you gave (a random day), you can setup a filter in your reporting.

Capture.JPG

Warning:
Applying filters in your configuration will not change your historical data, but it will change the data you gather from the moment you apply a filter and onwards. So it's not an instant fix. Once it has been processed it can't be changed, so it is advisable to create a test environment as mentioned in one of the "Digital Analytics Fundamentals" courses and test your filter before you apply them on your "master data".

Cheers,

Jan