Analytics
5K members online now
5K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Wildcard URLs- Combine page data

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have pages on my site that the user id for the person that logs in. Each person has a unique ID. I want to get the data associated with a particular page but the problem is the URL for each person is different even if its the same content. Example for the device page:

users/1/devices

users/2/devices

users/3/devices

Id like to take all three pages above and combine it to only show as one line item (/devices) and track that page all together. Any suggestions on how to do that? Maybe with filters?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

You need to create a Custom Filter of the type Advanced.

In Field A -> Extra A, select the Request URI field. In the text box, enter "users/([\d]+)/devices" without quotes.

In Output To -> Constructor, select the Request URI field. In the text box, enter "users/userId/devices" without quotes

This will replace all occurences of the user id with the text string "userId".

Remember to test it first on a separate view before implementing.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Non-filter solution

You could use Content Grouping

Filter solution

Replace the userid part with nothing

Remember to have an unfiltered view to keep your data safe

--
To make bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible

Antti Nylund, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Does this take time to implement or should I see the result right away? Thanks for your help!

Re: Wildcard URLs- Combine page data

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

It'll apply to all data from the moment the filter is created and you should be able to see the effect in real time reports.