Analytics
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Why does Organic session count not match across views?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I have the following Views configured for all of my properties:

1. Site - All: All traffic without any filters
  2. Site - Organic: Same config as "Site - All", but with an Include view filter matching Campaign Medium = organic

When I look at the Organic session count across these two views at a daily level, on some days and some properties, these counts don't match exactly.

How is this possible? Is this a bug in GA?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Ralph,

Are you certain that there are no other filters and has the default channel grouping been modified?

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Theo Bennett, thanks for your replies. There are no other filters and the default channel grouping was not modified.

I just checked all of my properties again for 5/15/2017 (yesterday) and now I'm seeing the Organic session count match. A few days ago in some properties, these counts were not the same for some properties.

Is it possible that the GA filters work inconsistently or take longer than 24 hours to start working properly?

I'm having a similar issue with the Country filter on a different view also not working properly, and posted about it in a different thread. It seems like this filter functionality is not very reliable.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hey @Ralph Andrew C,

Yes they take some time (several hours) to begin to work but normally if you've just deployed them you'll see the data normalize after final, end-of-day processing is done.

So just to be clear, GA can processes data intra-day at different rates depending on the volume of the property and then does a final processing.  That's one of the reasons it's not good practice to look at today's data (if that's what you were doing).

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Theo Bennett, yes I was not looking at intra-day data. I was looking at whole calendar days many days after the filter was applied, and I was still seeing discrepancies for some properties. I'm not seeing this issue for yesterday though, so I'll continue to keep an eye on it.

However, I am seeing this issue with a Country filtered view that I created last week. It's configured to only include visits from US, UK, Canada and Australia and, nevertheless, I'm seeing some "(not set)" sessions and random ones from other countries getting through. And it's been over 5 days since the filter was configured. I posted on a separate thread about this.

This is leading me to believe that this filter logic might not actually work consistently or, if it does, take a lot longer than 24 hours to start working properly.