AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Why are these segments different?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I set the reporting data range from Nov 21st, 2015 to Dec 21st, 2015.

Then make two different segments that I think they have to be the same.

Segment 1.

Date of First Session is between Nov 21st, 2015 and Dec 21st, 2015.

Segment 2.

Count of Sessions = 1 (applied to 'Users')

Segment 1. has more users and sessions than segment 2.

Are there any users whose 1st count of sessions is not within the reporting data range who make their first session between Nov 21st, 2015 and Dec 21st, 2015?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Why are these segments different?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Dongjin,

I am sure one of the experts will get to this question soon. In the mean time I can just post some session facts that might help in an answer

A GA session automatically expire at midnight (11:59:59 pm):
Lets say a user visits the website at 11:54 pm and stays on your website for 40mins, this should mark your Sessions as "2" sessions since the user browsed after midnight.

A GA session expires, if no new hit is sent to GA server within 30 minutes from the time when the last hit was sent:
So if a user does not interact with the site, the session will expire.

User returns via a different source:
If a user leaves your site and returns via a different source no matter what the time frame is, this will count as a new session.

Help Sources:
Session Duration, Avg https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1006253?hl=en
Session and campaign timeout handling https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2795871?hl=en

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
** by the way, you should always wait at least 48 hrs before reading stats. Having a date range between Nov 21st, 2015 and Dec 21st, 2015 may not be a good idea as it is the Dec 22nd Today, if you want accurate stats for the 21st Dec then you should wait until Dec 24th.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Dongjin Lee :-)

In segment 1 you are asking for any visitors that their first session occurred during that stated date range Nov 21st, 2015 and Dec 21st, 2015.
The number of sessions has not been limited. just that their first session occurred during the decided date range

In segment 2 you are asking for those users that have had a single session only during the reporting date range
Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here