AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Why are there differences between GA Reports and API Reporting using different sampling methods?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello everyone!

In the last few days I've noticed some important differences between the reports I've made directly on GA Reporting and the queries I've built using the Query Explorer tool (https://ga-dev-tools.appspot.com/query-explorer/).

With that in mind, I woud like to check with you if is there something wrong or maybe I missed something.

My case is: the client requested a report that he could see how many times users clicked on an specific link while using smartphones/tablets each day. So, I need to display this data using Google Charts while getting data from Google Analytics using its Reporting API.

Well, please take a look on the following images showing reports on the period: from Aug 1, 2016 - Aug 31, 2016.

precision-ga.pngThis report displays data with the Greater precision option enabled

faster-ga.pngThis report displays data with the Faster option enabledquery-normal.pngThis one represents my query on Query Explorer tool. The filter is "ga:eventCategory=~(www.site.com/folder/Pagina_Incrivel$);ga:eventAction==Baixar o aplicativo"query-faster.pngThis is the result from the query with SamplingLevel = HIGHER_RESPONSEquery-precision.pngThis is the result from the query with SamplingLevel = FASTER

I noticed that for my filter, the Faster response represents 1.11% of all session, while the Greater precision represents 100%.

faster-response.png

So my question is: why isn't Query Explorer considering the SamplingLevel as HIGHER_PRECISION just like the normal GA Reporting? Is it possible?

Thanks in advance for your attention,

Wiliam.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Wiliam R
March 2017

Why are there differences between GA Reports and API Reporting using different sampling methods?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey William,

Have you tried to completely eliminate the sampling by breaking this into multiple requests and then put the data back together?  I suspect if you break it down into smaller chunks you will get the same results.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Wiliam R
March 2017

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey William,

Have you tried to completely eliminate the sampling by breaking this into multiple requests and then put the data back together?  I suspect if you break it down into smaller chunks you will get the same results.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn