Analytics
2K members online now
2K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Why am I still showing up in Real-time reports?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys,

I have two tabs opened at the same time. 

One I use to view Google Analytics Real-time reports

The other I use to grammar check and format my web pages while on-line.

I don't want to see the page I am editing or browsing at in Real-time reports and the filter I'm using IP address exclude is not working.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to exclude my on-line viewing from my reports?

Mike

mike.hump@comcast.net

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Why am I still showing up in Real-time reports?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Mike H,

How is your IP filter configured? Check that you are using your public IP address. To get that, you can just Google "what is my IP".

Also, if your IP is dynamic, then you may need to configure the filter accordingly (with some regex).
Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Nicky,

My filter pattern: 209\.6\.17\.140

Results of googling: what is my ip
2601:191:c001:2f9:5c5a:1c20:61b6:675a
Your public IP address

Does this answer your question?
I get the concept of regular expressions but really don't have confidence creating one for this.

MIke
AskACatholic.com

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Mike, so you will need to change your IP to that which you just looked up. Give that a try and let me know how it goes.
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Sorry. I'm missing something technically. I always though the IP address always took this form: ###.##.##.### like 209.6.17.140

That filter pattern didn't work and this doesn't work either:
2601:191:c001:2f9:5c5a:1c20:61b6:675a

so what next. There is no place to attach an image so I can't show you.

I'm at Administration > Global filters > Edit filter

MIke

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Mike H,

That pattern is for IPv6 addresses (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6_address) and that format is required because, in short, IPv4 addresses (the format you may be more familiar with) are running out. The former works in the same way as the latter, with respect to the IP address filter in GA. It maybe not be working in your case if your address is dynamic, in which case you may need to check if your addresses consistently falls within range for which you would need to use a Regex matching pattern.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've been struggling with this one myself. The default view collects all traffic. You need to create a new view for which you can apply your filter. Check out item 3 here https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1009618?hl=en

How to add a new view: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1009714?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

I've struggled with this myself and I've contacted Google support twice now in the last 3 weeks. They suggest configuring ALL IP exclusion filters to the custom type (not Predefined) and to use regular expression, i.e. ^192\.168\.0\.1$ in order for the exclude filters to work properly.

For my company and our many clients, this is a fundamental error that has gone undetected for an unknown duration. The scary part is that it's persistent across multiple clients. I've even validated it multiple ways:

• Real Time reports
  • Tag Assistant recordings

Since this method of excluding internal traffic is a fundamental best practice that is as old as Google Analytics itself, I suggest all of you double check your real time reports to determine if you may be affected and add to the discussion and put some pressure on the Analytics Product Team to acknowledge this issue and address it head on.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Brian M,

Did you read my post above about creating a new view? It worked for me.

I used the first 15 digits (xxxx:xxx:xxxx:xxxxSmiley Happy of the 31 digit public IP address then all my devices are excluded.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Chris. I read the documentation link you provided summarizing views and the default view. The article suggests the best practice to leave the original view without any exclusion filters. I've done the same thing using the Copy View feature. However, this isn't even required; if users wish to add filters to the default view, it should obey filters as any view should.

You should leave this original view unfiltered, so that you always have a view in which you can see all the data. You can create additional views and apply filters to them so that they each include the specific subset of data in which you're interested.

My concern is that the predefined filter method isn't working for any of my clients' views where we filter out many IP addresses to preserve data quality and report on marketing performance. This is what I want others to corroborate and get Google to acknowledge.

Any ideas @Nicky Y?