AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Which is better to use in a segment for marketing traffic? Users or Sessions?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am trying to segment my target audience, and want to know if I should create conditions/filters based on Sessions or Users? Which will be more accurate? For example, I want to create a segment that contains traffic that came to my website and completed a form (conversion). Would a filter/condition based on Sessions give me a more accurate number, or would a filter/condition based on Users be better?

Basically, when would I create a filter/condition based on Sessions, and when would I create a filter/condition based on Users?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Andrew,

It really depends on what you are trying to analyze.  Session based segments only give you the sessions that match, while user based give you that session and all others tied to that user (browser cookie). 

So if you want to see how a campaign performed when the session began on a landing page and whether or now they converted, then use session.  To see if the users that bounced ever came back and by what other channels, use user.

Generally User gives you a more complete picture, but keep in mind that this is truly not a "user" and does not account for cross device behavior (which is the norm) but is just one browser on one device in a real users journey.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Theo for your expertise and insight. Much appreciated. I will keep this in mind as I experiment with my segments.