Analytics
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Which filter to track traffic from two referrals

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a website which has to track referral traffic from two sources:

1. incoming traffic from links at a website (autovandaag.nl)

2. incoming traffic from a widget placed on the website named at point 1. which is hosted at another server (autovandaag.widget.blackorange.nl)

I made two filters:

1. Include traffic from campaign source "autovandaag\.nl"

2. Include traffic form campaign source "autovandaag.widget.blackorange.nl"

But I doubt if I get the information I want when I look at my data. Are these filters correct for what I want to track?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

I would suggest you to use tagged URLs for the links on the sites so you can track the traffic accurately as custom campaigns. Please find the URL builder tool here: https://ga-dev-tools.appspot.com/campaign-url-builder/

You can find more information about custom campaigns in the document below:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033863

Hope this helps, let me know if you have questions.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Arnold, 

That's almost impossible because we work with a dynamic widget which can change as the database changes. In the database are thousands of configurations and possibilities. That's why we hosted the widget on another host. 

The traffic which comes from the website also comes via a lot of different links which we can't adjust. 

I want to check if the methods mentioned above are right, because in my opinion these filters have to work to only track traffic from those sources (which contain thousands of links to the site I want to check).