Analytics
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Where is the heatmap grid to show Page Views by Hour for a week?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I saw a Grid view of days of week and then the hours of the day along the left side of the grid.  I can't locate that report anymore. It wasn't a custom one I built. Just trying to see in a week. Which ours are least busy so I can plan some downtime.

Mark

Re: Where is the heatmap grid to show Page Views by Hour for a week?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

@Mark S

Hi,

try to create custom report https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1151300?hl=en

Zrzut ekranu 2016-02-23 o 00.20.44.png

It's easy and simple.

SH

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Actually the report I am thinking of is not a custom one. I've come across it by accident but haven't been able to navigate back to it. Basically it shows a grid that is 7 columns by 24 rows. Each day is a column and each row represents an hour of the day. Each rectangle is a darker blue based on the number of pageviews in that hour. This way you can see days next to each other what times are where the most pageviews happen and where the least pageviews happen so you can schedule a maintenance during a slow time and schedule a blog post during a busy time.

Similar to this but a default report in GA.

heatmap-dayofweek.png

Mark S

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

@Mark S

The report is not look like from Google Analytics, maybe is from application?

Week of year and name day of week - I really don't know where is default report. It could be custom report maybe or custom dashboard?

SH

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Seba Heymann

I had not created any custom reports before so the one I remember was a stock report. I have looked for screenshots of the report and have found similar ones but the person has cropped the image so much that you can't see any context to navigate to the report.  It looks very similar to the Excel version I showed. It uses blue like the map one does to show visits or pageviews by country except over the course of a week by the hour.

As an interim solution if I could see week over week for the course of a month what hour of the day is least busy and most busy that would be helpful though I would really like to narrow it down to the day of the week as well.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Mark,

unfortunately, I do not know how to add the weekday, the week and the hours to one table. That's one data set to much, isn't it? I'm only able to create a "heat map solution" with weekday als rows and hours als columns. Maybe this helps you?

It's a combination of a sustom report in Google Analytics and Excel.

1. GA: Custom Report
1.1 Click on "Customization", "New Custom Report", choose "Flat Table" and as dimension "Day of the Week Name" and "Hour" as well as "Sessions" as Metric. Click Save.
1.2 Choose the date periode.
1.3 Show rows: 5000
1.4 Click Export and Excel (XLSX)
1.5 Open the sheet with Excel

2. Excel
2.1 Click on work sheet "Dataset1"
2.2 Click on Insert -> PivotTable
2.3 Confirm by click on OK
2.4 Pull "Day of the Week Name" into rows, "Hour" into columns and "sessions" into "sum".
2.5 Mark in the table all columns and rows with data (in my case: B1 to Y11).
2.6 Click on "start" and choose a conditional formatting of your choice (e.g. a colour scale).

The result should look like this:

GA_table_excel.png

That's the only option I acctualy can offer.

Bye.

Nils.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

But it is natively in the the Google Analtyics App on my phone. See below.

heatmap-dayofweek-mobile.PNG