Analytics
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

When to not override the Output to field in Advanced Filters

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I could not think of an example in the advanced filter where I will choose not to override output field. Will we not always override the output field in advanced filters?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Maybe you only want to set a source or campaign when there is none already specified, or if you have multiple filters all setting a common output, but don't want to override a previous filter (saves the first filter value that matches)

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Mike : Thanks for the reply. Can you give a specific example when we are setting multiple filters all setting a common output?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Harpreet S
August

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

One example I have used is where an event hit is being recorded from a call tracking application (call not originating from the website) is missing or has an invalid a hostname value, I set one. If the value already exists (because the call originated on the website), I leave the original value alone.

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.