Analytics
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

What are pageviews in relation to click events?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So, I have a category full of click events that are recorded on a specific type of type of page. I created a dashboard, and I added a table, listing those click events. There is a option to add a pageview metric to the table, but I don't understand how the metric is calculated. I'd think that all of the events would show the same pageviews because they're all should get the same number of impressions. Since that's not the case, how are they calculated. I'll attach a screenshot.

Screen Shot 2017-01-30 at 3.17.45 PM.png

Re: What are pageviews in relation to click events?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I have the exact same query. Did you manage to get any understanding?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Nope, I just decided not to use those numbers, but I'd love to know how they're calculated.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Kellen, 

The unique event (click) differs from the pageview because the pageview acquires a hit every time the user visits a page. The the unique event (click) is unique to the session. So if the user clicks the same button multiple times it will only attribute one hit to the unique event. There is the potential for several pageviews to a unique event. 

Best,

Jordan

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

If the users hit the same events, multiple times, that will come under total events. How can pageview metrics is being shown for events then? 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Sorry, that's not the answer I'm looking for. I understand what pageviews are, and I understand what events are. The screenshot posted shows events that are available from a single type of page. For example, any page that "insurance click" exists on, "similar doctor click" also exists. Logically, the pageviews should be exactly the same for those two events. There is no way for either one of the events to have more impressions than the other. 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kellen L
March

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

This is how I was thinking about this. So in a given session there are X amount of event actions and X amount of pageviews. These metrics are not directly associated. They are an overall measure of engagement during X amount of sessions in that given time period.  If a user was to land on page A and then navigate to page B, then triggers a click event that takes them to page C in a session. They have triggered 3 pageviews and 1 event. So hypothetically you could have a large discrepancy between those two metrics over time. 

I could very possibly be wrong and I might not be answering your question. Let me know if this makes any sense. 

Best,

Jordan

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Yes, this can be one scenario. Thank you.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, sorry for the late reply. I'm just now seeing this. That makes sense, though it seems a little odd.