Analytics
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Wanting to group Blog post URLs to exclude from Overall results

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

I have an ok understanding of Google Analytics. But at a pretty entry level. I have been researching here and in the Help docs (I promise) to try and find how to filter the below.

Objective.

I want to group all the blog post pages of a specific website together. I then wish to:

1 - Report on those alone 

2 - Exclude these from the overall site metrics. (They will greatly eschew the overall results)

What would be the best way to do this please? I have already 'had a go' but when I tried the verify nothing happened which makes me think I haven't done it right.

Thanks in advance for any guidance. Smiley Happy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Saxon T
April 2016

Re: Wanting to group Blog post URLs to exclude from Overall results

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Based on Syed's suggestion you can create 2 Views where the 1st View has a filter that includes only the blog pages and the 2nd View has a filter that excludes the blog pages

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
You can create a separate new view for Blogs pages and then include them in the new view by using an include filter. If there's a common pattern in the URL and theye're under a subdirectory, then you can a filter based on traffic to the subdirectories.

Similarly, you can create an exclude filter to exclude the traffic from the main view.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Saxon,

There are multiple ways to do it:
- Create Content Grouping by page type and you'd be able to see a high-level view of how many page views your blog is getting 

- Use the "advanced" feature to exclude the specific URLs by Page but this only works if the URLs of your site have something like "/blog/article-title-here" an indicator that those are all blog pages

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Sikoursky,

Are you sure because creating content grouping won't exclude them from the overall site metrics? Also, Saxon would like to report on them on their own, so using the filters as given above to exclude and include these pages would be the better option in my opinion.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your replies Smiley Happy

Yes I want to both have as a group to see their metrics in isolation but
most importantly to exclude their results from the overall audience data.

I have also been advised that a 'custom report' might be the way to go?

Cheers

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Saxon,

It is your choice but I would like to let you know that custom report won't actually exclude these pages from the overall audience data. If you would like to exclude them, then exclude filter is the only option.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Saxon T
April 2016

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Based on Syed's suggestion you can create 2 Views where the 1st View has a filter that includes only the blog pages and the 2nd View has a filter that excludes the blog pages

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thx Syed!!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thx to all for their suggestions and advice. I really appreciate it!