Analytics
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Vitaly Rules Google - Spam Filter Question - How do I filter it?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Seem to be having an issue with the spam below in many of my clients Google Analytics accounts. We've been filtering out a lot of rubbish recently with a degree of success including the infamous 'vote for Trump' spammer.

I've setup a number of different filters but have had no success. Has anyone else had a similar issue and has successfully filtered it out?

Screenshot (216).png

2 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey Andrew, 

If you're experiencing a high level of spam I would suggest you do a search for referring domains and seeing which domains are sending this spam traffic. 

Once you've identified these domains you can use what is called Filtering Domain Referrals. Google has a great article on how to do this here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034842?hl=en 

Let me know if this solves your problem! 

- Josh

ps. This is a repost from a similar question i answered.

Joshua, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

@Joshua R @Andrew M filtering on the source name/referral is not recommended anymore in most of the cases.

This is because (1) the name sources of the spam change almost everyday, which make inefficient the filter almost by the time you apply it. (2) The latest wave of spam have been using valid sources like reddit or twitter so you will be filtering valid data.

To handle this threat efficiently, insted you should use a language and a hostname filter, the combination of those will take care of most of the spam, without needing to create/update filters everytime a new one shows up.

This guide should help you create those filters

https://www.ohow.co/ultimate-guide-to-removing-irrelevant-traffic-in-google-analytics/

Hope it helps,

Google Analytics Rising Star | Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.' Learn how here!
Analytics Consultant at Carloseo.com - Find me on Twitter | Email me

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

@Carlos Escalera - Great article. I read it once and will read it again. 

Joshua, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’