Analytics
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Views to Filter to Include and Exclude by Office IP Results in Large Session Discrepancy

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

So I have 3 views:

All Website Data

Exclude Office IP - filtering to exclude traffic from an IP address that is equal to 

Include Office IP - filtering to include traffic from an IP address that is equal to 

No other filters have been applied to these views.

When excluding traffic from the office IP, there's a difference of around 13k sessions per day compared to the All Data view.  This suggests 13k sessions are coming from our Office IP, a large amount given there are only about 50 people in the office.

This prompted me to set up the 3rd view to Include Office IP. Traffic from the office is around 120 sessions per day.

So what could be causing such a difference? Surely including and excluding by IP should result in the same difference?

Views to Filter to Include and Exclude by Office IP Results in Large Session Discrepancy

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Difference looks too big.

Is the date range same when you are comparing the data?

Because third view 'Include Office IP' , I assume you created recently.

Old / already processed data can't be changed / rectified. We can take measures so that future data is right.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Yes, the date range and the time period that data that has been recorded (that I'm looking at) is the same. These views were set up a few weeks ago. I'm looking at the daily difference over the past few days.

Totally agree the difference is too big. I initially thought there might be some automated process coming from our office IP that triggered the extra sessions but I've found nothing.

I've looked at channels and the 13k difference comes from all channels but the biggest differences are from search behaviour (paid, organic, display, direct).