AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

View level filter vs filter in dashboard

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi! Does anybody know what is the difference between view-level filters and filters in custom dashboards or reports?

I have a separate view for the subdomain with a filter: traffic to the hostname- that are equal to- abc.xyz.com. Here I have 482 sessions and 349 users.

And also I have a common view for all my subdomains, where I have a custom dashboard. In this dashboard I have a widget with a filter: include only-hostname- exactly matching- abc.xyz.com. And here the number of session is 401, users -385.

Why the difference is so big. And it is strange that there are less sessions and more users.

1 Expert replyverified_user

View level filter vs filter in dashboard

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Olesia,

Views have filters that process data and are applied at the time the data is received and processed by Google Analytics.   You dashboard filter is taking the data available in the report and excluding some data not unlike a filter in Excel.  

You could get inconsistent results for a number of reasons, e.g. segments applied, sampling, other filters on either view etc.  You may want to review what other filters may be in place on the views and it may answer your question.  

Hope that helps.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn