Analytics
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

View filters based on Application id "leaking"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have multiple apps for different platforms reporting to Google analytics with the same analytics tracking code.

This is done because we need both aggregated data and separate data.

I have created separate views for all the specific apps with filters based on the application id, which is unique for every single app.

Filters I have created are following in config:
Custom filter
Include "application id" with value of my application id in app store or google play.

When I view the data for the Android app then I see under devices iPhone as the most popular device. Similarly I can see Samsung phones listed under IOS view.

Are there any additional filters needed to exclude other devices from statistics?

1 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Tere Raul Smiley Happy

Take a look at this custom report. You can just import this custom report to your Android app view or IOS view for example.

What are your App ID's for iPhone and Android devices in this report? Do you see exactly the same App ID's there that you used in your filters?

Cheers,

Taavi

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Tere,

The custom report shows out for both IOS and Android only the app id's for what I'm filtering for already. So it seems that filter is fine.

To add it if I created segments with the same filter, then it filters out the iPhones and Windows users from Android report, but it shows that only 37% of all traffic in that view match with the segment.

Re: View filters based on Application id "leaking"

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Tervitus Raul,

Did I understand correctly that you created a segment with exactly the same conditions in the same view that was already filtered and the results didn't match up? (there were still some sessions that were not filtered out?)

I guess you used this kind of segmentation method:

app id.png

Filters are influencing data on the hit level (permanently), segments on the session or user level (not permanently) so in theory if the view filter works properly there shouldn't be a difference.

If junk traffic is using your application id, this might be the case here as well. Using the Secondary Dimension in your reports, see if you can figure out something that the junk traffic has that valid traffic doesn't, or vice versa.

What's the percentage of IOS sessions in your Android view?

Taavi

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Hi Raul,

@Taavi Kalvi gave you some good advice on segments here.

If you want to do filters and only want iOS vis Android, have you considering using Operating System as your filter field or adding it if you want a particular application id and then OS?

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, I did create the segment as you wrote on the view you added here on screenshot.

I was thinking the same that there should not be a difference between the two.

I have 26% of Windows sessions and 6% of IOS sessions under the Android view.

Whats common with all of the "wrong" sessions is that they have 0 screen views, and have relatively short session duration. Session duration for them is from 30 seconds to 1.5 minutes. Out real sessions are many times longer on average.

Good idea Theo about adding operating system based filter in addition. This would take care of it. Though it's weird that I need it at all, as the app id is unique. 

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Raul, if you're adding operating system based filter in addition, I would recommend keeping one view unfiltered as well then you're able to analyze the difference between the results later on.

Taavi