AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

View filter that includes 48 specific pages

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

I want to set up a view which includes only 48 specific pages within my site. I have used the pipe "Or" expression with the page titles, but when I put up a "starts with" ^ and "ends with" $ at the beginning and end of the pages titles, separated by the OR, I get no results.

Can you help?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: View filter that includes 48 specific pages

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi crisishomelessness,

Can you paste here your regex? Also would be helpful if you post a screenshot of your entire configuration for that filter.

Thanks.
Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Nicky,

I have just tried out the filter to see if it will work for four pages in the first instance (so if it worked, I would know the filter would work when I added in the other 44 pages.

So the regex for those four pages I used was ^Crisis Skylight Birmingham$|^Crisis Skylight Coventry and Warwickshire$|^Crisis Skylight Croydon$|^HR Team$

When I used that regex I got no results - i.e. zero page views.
I am now using Crisis Skylight Birmingham|Crisis Skylight Coventry and Warwickshire|Crisis Skylight Croydon|HR Team as the filter, but am getting other pages than the individual pages I want to track (with those page titles).

How do you post a screen shot here?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi crisishomelessness,

To attach a screenshot, hit the "Reply" button, and then the "Full Reply Editor" below the "Post" button. You should see icons that allow you to add a screenshot.

Perhaps you could try this regex for the Page Title:

^(Crisis Skylight Birmingham|Crisis Skylight Coventry and Warwickshire|Crisis Skylight Croydon|HR Team)$

Not that the carat is just at the beginning and the dollar sign is just at the end. Also make sure that those are the exact page titles, because I'm seeing things like "Crisis Skylight Birmingham · Our Crisis Skylight centres · Crisis" and "Crisis Skylight Croydon · Our Crisis Skylight centres · Crisis".

If that's the case, then you could possibly do something like this:

^.*(Crisis Skylight Birmingham|Crisis Skylight Coventry and Warwickshire|Crisis Skylight Croydon|HR Team).*$, where I've added ".*" on either end to encompass any extra text that may be around those page titles.

Hope this helps.
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
HI Nicky,

Thanks for this - am trying out that regex and will let you know how I get on.
The domain I am setting up the filter for is not www.crisis.org.uk - it is our internal intranet site crisisuk.sharepoint.,com - so the page titles I have given you in the regex are the exact page titles.
See screen shot of filter set up using your suggestion (but you can't see it in the screenshot). in the next post.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Note: this post has been edited by a Community Manager, per Community Posting Guidelines. This was done in order to remove a screenshot that included private information such as an email address, an account ID, or similar.

Please feel free to re-post the screenshot after having removed or entirely obscured all information that has the potential to put your accounts and/or your privacy at risk. Thank you.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
That looks like it should be working, as I can't see the whole filter.

You may want to try just one page title first if it's still not working. If it doesn't work, t hen may indicate that it's not an issue problem. Do you have any other include filters in place at the same time? Or do you have any other filters that would block this one some how?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Nicky, we have a filter on a different view to filter out spam traffic - would that be a problem? We don't have any other filter on this view except this one (that I am trying to sort out).

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
No, it should affect the view your are concerned with (filters don't work across views). Note that in terms troubleshooting, you could always view your pageviews in Real-Time reports to see immediately if your filters are working. My only other guess is to install Tag Assistant, and then go to your site to see if any analytics data is getting through . This would at least help you see if analytics is at all working in the first place.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
HI there, when I use this as a regex Crisis Skylight Birmingham|Crisis Skylight Coventry and Warwickshire|Crisis Skylight Croydon|HR Team I get results (i.e. users engaging in sessions) BUT I am getting results for pages with page titles that are e.g."Art at Crisis Skylight Birmingham" and "Crisis Skylight Birmingham events" (as well as "Crisis Skylight Birmingham"). I want to get only the pages with the exact page title. (begins with Crisis Skylight Birmingham and ends with Crisis Skylight Birmingham). - but for multiple pages. The regex ^(Crisis Skylight Birmingham|Crisis Skylight Coventry and Warwickshire|Crisis Skylight Croydon|HR Team)$ returns no results.