Analytics
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

View excluding subdomain traffic

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys,

I've been struggling for a while and I need your help. For marketing and performance reasons I would need to create a view to segment some data through filters.

Basically, I have a main site (www.mysite.com) where the main target is to get lead generations and provide some info to current and future clients.

Then, there is other subdomain (private.mywebsite.com) which works as a private area for current clients. I created a segment excluding those visitors: Condition==> Users==>Exclude==>Page exactly matches ==> private.mywebsite.com. I also segmented the traffic by Country (Demographics==>Location==> Country contains==> UK. Doing so, I can get the information I need. 

Is there any way I could create a view with these filters? If so, how I should do?

Thanks,

Jaime

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: View excluding subdomain traffic

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey Jamie, how are things?

You should be able to create Custom filters on your view to Exclude traffic from Hostname = "private.mywebsite.com", and also exclude traffic from a specific country.

Try these steps:

1. Select "Admin" at the top of the page
  2. Go to "Filters" under the View column
  3. +Add filter
  4. Under Filter Type, select "Custom"
  5. On Filter FIELD, select "Hostname" or "Country" (you need to create one filter for each one)
  6. Filter Pattern will be: "private.mywebsite.com" for Hostname, and the name of the country for Country filter

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Leandro Martinez

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Leandro,

Many thanks for the info. I have set another view excluding traffic from hostname as you mentioned above but it seems isn't working as I need.

Basically, if I set that filter I exclude traffic from my subdomain as referral, they go to the subdomain and then to the main site. However, if they do the other way around (visit the main site and then go to the subdomain) those visits will be tracked and counted by GA. Am I right?

The problem comes when measuring KPIs such as Conversion rates and also PPC campaigns. The business model is by subscription. Hence, a current client cannot purchase any other product and that affects massively Conversions for instance. We're also running retargeting campaigns...

Is there any way I can set a filter which blocks traffic as if it were a segment? Mainly, I need to create a view without users who visited at some point certain page (i.e. subdomain homepage).

Thanks,
Jaime

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
@leandrofm

How can I exclude the series of sub-domain, like test1.example.com, test2, test3 and so on. all test sub-domains start with "test" and "stage" but the list is endless