Analytics
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

View Filter using a Custom Dimension (Internal IP)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I have a problem to identify if a View Filter is well implemented or not.

So, my IT Department defined a Custom dimension to separate internal from external visits. I apply the filter in View level to exclude the internal traffic, using the Custom dimension.

My problem is... when I try to confirm that all is being applied correctly, I go to the "Audience"--> "Custom" --> "Custom Variables", where I can see my Custom Variable.

Question: Even if the View is filtered by a Custom Variable, is posible to see the filtered data in this Report ("Audience"--> "Custom" --> "Custom Variables")? Because I can see both values of the variable ("Internal" and "External")... It seems not filtered...

But if I do an Advanced Segment, to see only the Internal Users, no data is showed. It seems filtered...

Finally... 

If the Filter is really applied, the number of Sessions showed in the Custom Report like "External", must match with the total Sessions showed in "Audience Overview" Report... Right?

An exemple...

In Custom Variables Report I see 1000 External Sessions and 10 Internal Sessions, Total 1010 Sessions...

But if in "Audience Overview" Report I can see 1020 Total Sessions...!

Using the Advanced Segment (Internal Sessions), I see no data.

Do you know if there is any another way to confirm that all is well implemented?

Thanks a lot in advance!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: View Filter using a Custom Dimension (Internal IP)

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Miguel :-)
Just to clarify, you mention Custom dimensions are being set for internal/external visits.
and then mention Custom variables.- with the Universal analytics.js code, Custom DImensions
and Metrics have replaced Custom Variables.

There is a really good post by Lunametrics about filtering session and user scoped Custom Dimensions,
which I think you will find useful.
http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2015/10/16/filtering-session-user-custom-dimensions-google-analytics...
Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here