Analytics
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Using Segments To Filter Traffic

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey All,

We have a client who created a segment in order to group similar pages together. For example, we're trying to filter all of the mens products into one group to see YoY traffic among all of the pages. However, there are women's products populating even though we are including "does not contain" "womens". Are segments the best way to go about this? Is there a better alternative? Should I be looking at each pages numbers individually? Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Using Segments To Filter Traffic

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Nick :-)

I'm not sure a segment would be the best way to go about this. Segments are session based yet you are trying to filter based on pages.

Have you considered Content Grouping?
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2853423?hl=en&ref_topic=1727167
Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
The problem they are having is that segments are not filters, per se.

A filter is basically saying "show me every X where X fits 'my criteria'"

A segment is basically saying "show me very X of Y where Y has at least one X that fits 'my criteria'.
Segments can only be defined (mostly) at either the User or the Session level. So your clients segment is probably defined something like: Include all sessions that contain a page that doesn't contain women. A page level report with that segment applied will return all pages that were viewed in the same session as any page that doesn't contain 'womens'.

What the client needs is to build the report with a filter instead of a segment

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
So I have started building a report. Am I only allowed to filter out one page at a time. When I used regex /mens, multiple pages appear on the report. However, when I used regex /mens and regex /womens the report shows no data. Any ideas on how I can make this possible?

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
No it will bring back anything that matches the criteria. It's not bringing back any data because you don't have any pages that match both of those filters. If you want both then you can use a single RegEx filter. Here are two different ways to write it, either one will work:
/(mens|womens)
or this way
/(wo)?mens