Analytics
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

User and New User counts appear to be too high and don't appear to be calculating correctly

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We are reviewing the metrics for "Users" and "New Users" on our dashboards. We notice that both numbers are much higher than we would expect for the past month (8677 vs 8350), and also the number of "New Users" is almost as great as the "Users". Considering this is a product with only 2000 subscribers the number of new users especially seems large. 

However, if we increase the date range from one month to two months, we now see that the "Users" increase to 18627 (nearly double) and the number of "New Users" increases to 18255. If we increase to 3 months we now see 27271 users vs 26878 new users.

Does anyone have an explanation for this behavior, or does anyone know how to "fix" my reports to track Users and New Users more accurately?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: User and New User counts appear to be too high and don't appear to be calculating correctly

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Andrea,

User counts are cookie based and could be impacted by a new version or changes to the tracking code.

Also users is really a count of browsers / clients. So if I were to access your site on my work machine from two different browsers, then my phone, then my tablet, then my home pc, then my laptop; you would see 6 users.

Hope that helps..

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn