AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Unique Events by unique user

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there, 

I have set up a campaign on a social media platform with UTM tagging on the ad.

When the new user comes via this ad to my website and submit a form, an event "Submitted Form" gets fired.

I have two questions regarding this:

1) How does it come that there is a difference  between how many submitted forms I got in the reality and the unique event numbers of "Submitted Form" which has the same utm_source with the ad?

2) How does it come that the user numbers is lower than the unique event numbers when I via Google Analytics Ads On Spreadsheet check how many users with the same utm_source tag the "Submitted Form" event fired? 

Thanks,

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kutlu Taskin T
January 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hey Kutlu, 

If i understood you correctly here is the answer to your questions: 

#1 (a)Remember that Google Analytics operates on an aggregated data method. Meaning that they're using data sampling and because of this sometimes the data doesn't add up. 

(b) Trying running a "custom report" and re-checking your data to see if the number of actual submits matches up with your unique event submits. Within a certain threshold custom reports should use all your data and not aggregated it with sampling. 

#2 Again we're talking about aggregated data. That being said a user can submit multiple events if he triggers another session. 

Read the following article to understand how unique events will not always prevent a user submitting multiples of the same event to be counted. https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/7084499?hl=en

Let me know if this answers your question! 

- Josh

Joshua, Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kutlu Taskin T
January 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hey Kutlu, 

If i understood you correctly here is the answer to your questions: 

#1 (a)Remember that Google Analytics operates on an aggregated data method. Meaning that they're using data sampling and because of this sometimes the data doesn't add up. 

(b) Trying running a "custom report" and re-checking your data to see if the number of actual submits matches up with your unique event submits. Within a certain threshold custom reports should use all your data and not aggregated it with sampling. 

#2 Again we're talking about aggregated data. That being said a user can submit multiple events if he triggers another session. 

Read the following article to understand how unique events will not always prevent a user submitting multiples of the same event to be counted. https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/7084499?hl=en

Let me know if this answers your question! 

- Josh

Joshua, Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’