Analytics
3.4K members online now
3.4K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Unique Events by unique user

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there, 

I have set up a campaign on a social media platform with UTM tagging on the ad.

When the new user comes via this ad to my website and submit a form, an event "Submitted Form" gets fired.

I have two questions regarding this:

1) How does it come that there is a difference  between how many submitted forms I got in the reality and the unique event numbers of "Submitted Form" which has the same utm_source with the ad?

2) How does it come that the user numbers is lower than the unique event numbers when I via Google Analytics Ads On Spreadsheet check how many users with the same utm_source tag the "Submitted Form" event fired? 

Thanks,

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kutlu Taskin T
January 2017

Unique Events by unique user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey Kutlu, 

If i understood you correctly here is the answer to your questions: 

#1 (a)Remember that Google Analytics operates on an aggregated data method. Meaning that they're using data sampling and because of this sometimes the data doesn't add up. 

(b) Trying running a "custom report" and re-checking your data to see if the number of actual submits matches up with your unique event submits. Within a certain threshold custom reports should use all your data and not aggregated it with sampling. 

#2 Again we're talking about aggregated data. That being said a user can submit multiple events if he triggers another session. 

Read the following article to understand how unique events will not always prevent a user submitting multiples of the same event to be counted. https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/7084499?hl=en

Let me know if this answers your question! 

- Josh

Joshua, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’