Analytics
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Unable to create filter for referrals

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Everyone

I have been scratching my head off trying to create filters for referral spam sites which are given below:

1. с.новым.годом.рф (most active)

2. share-buttons.xyz
3. traffic2cash.xyz

I created a new view in my GA account and did all things, most likely correctly as I have set custom filters before but each time I get that haunting message "no change effected.....either wrong config or small sample size. Is this because of a brand new view that I am trying to create a filter on? 

Any help on how to set this up will be much appreciated

Thanks

Ajay

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ajay S
January 2016

Re: Unable to create filter for referrals

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi :-)

Filters do not work to remove data already collected in a View, they only work going forward from the time applied.
To ensure against possible data loss, its general best practice to leave the default View without any filters applied so there
is always a View with raw unedited data should it be required at any point in time for reporting purposes.

You can apply it to a new View and hopefully if the filter is correct for your needs, then the data coming into the View should be
'clean'

If you are unsure whether a filter will work correctly or not, create a View for testing purposes only, and apply filters to it, to see
what affect it has in the reports on the incoming data over say 48hrs, and then you can deploy the filter to another View of choice once you know it works
as expected .

Usually with an include hostname filter i only include my own domain and googleusercontent. An include hostname filter that includes valid hostnames only, should be all that is required to successfully filter hostnames
Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Ajay :-)
If its a brand new View then there will not be any data in it for the filter verification to use
Filter verification is an indicator only and is not always 'helfpfull'
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks for answering Bronwyn
Does that mean I have to set the filter in a view that has data? Or can I wait for few days for the new views to accumulate some data? Thanks in advance.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Also Bronwyn, is it safe to include include google.com as invalid host name (by using the include hostname filter) ? Will it not effect traffic from google?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ajay S
January 2016

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi :-)

Filters do not work to remove data already collected in a View, they only work going forward from the time applied.
To ensure against possible data loss, its general best practice to leave the default View without any filters applied so there
is always a View with raw unedited data should it be required at any point in time for reporting purposes.

You can apply it to a new View and hopefully if the filter is correct for your needs, then the data coming into the View should be
'clean'

If you are unsure whether a filter will work correctly or not, create a View for testing purposes only, and apply filters to it, to see
what affect it has in the reports on the incoming data over say 48hrs, and then you can deploy the filter to another View of choice once you know it works
as expected .

Usually with an include hostname filter i only include my own domain and googleusercontent. An include hostname filter that includes valid hostnames only, should be all that is required to successfully filter hostnames