Analytics
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Unable to add a new filter in Google Analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When I click into Filters, there is not button from me to Add or Create a new filter. I have full permissions, manage users, edit, collaborate, read and analyze. What is the problem?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Behler-Young C
January 2016

Re: Unable to add a new filter in Google Analytics

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

In order to create new filters, you need "edit" rights on the account level. So if you only have this access on the view level, it won't work.

This might be the issue.
Paul

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Behler-Young C
January 2016

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

In order to create new filters, you need "edit" rights on the account level. So if you only have this access on the view level, it won't work.

This might be the issue.
Paul

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have full admin access and all permissions.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
i have complete access but "add filter" button is not apearing

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Hi Parkaj K.,

As stated above by Paul K, this is an access issue. In order to create new filters you must have Edit access on the Account Level. If you only have edit on the property or view; you cannot add filters.

Keep in mind that you should be very wary of adding new filters directly to your analysis views. Create a test view, create and apply the filter, make sure you get the data you expect and then use the filter tool in the account tree to then "promote" the filter to your analysis views.

Always a good idea to always have an unfiltered view (filters are destructive) and add an annotation so that others know that data shaping has changed.

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn