Analytics
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Trying to find out the location and number of users who use two specific search terms

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I'm trying to understand the search behaviour of my users. I have GA all set up to record the search terms being used on my website.

I'm trying to find out the number of users who use the search terms "London" and "Clapham", as an example. I've tried unsuccessfully to create a custom report. Any help or advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Will

Trying to find out the location and number of users who use two specific search terms

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi William,

You can use a custom report to figure out the number of users. I created that for. You can use an advanced filter or segment to see specific search terms.

If you'd like to see more granular data you should go to your Google Analytics -> Reporting -> Behaviour -> Site Search -> Search Terms and then use this advanced filter:

Screen Shot 2016-12-21 at 23.39.26.png

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes @William Sorell H.

Taavi 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Taavi,

Thanks for your help!

I can't seem to open your link. Is there any chance you could share the steps you took to create that custom report?

Thanks again,

William

Re: Trying to find out the location and number of users who use two specific search terms

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Please try one more time, I modified this link.

Here you can see the configuration of this custom report as well:

Screen Shot 2016-12-21 at 23.48.07.png

Let me know how it goes @William Sorell H.

Taavi

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

That custom report doesn't seem to calculate how many users search for both - London AND Clapham. It shows users who conduct them individually, not users who conduct both. Or am I missing something.

Re: Trying to find out the location and number of users who use two specific search terms

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

William, you can use those reports that I mentioned before and this kind of segment in order to figure it out:

Screen Shot 2016-12-22 at 00.14.16.png

Or you can modify this custom report that I created for you:

Screen Shot 2016-12-22 at 00.11.13.png 

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any further questions @William Sorell H.

Taavi