Analytics
5.6K members online now
5.6K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Trouble with excluding internal IP address

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

I have a problem with excluding IP addresses from reports on my site. This is what i have as a set up, the IP is correctly inserted (tho missing from the image) and this filter has been active for weeks with no effect. 

Anyone has suggestions?

Thanks,

Texlcude ip .png

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Trouble with excluding internal IP address

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Tommy we cant help without the pattern. That said, a couple of things.

1. Create a new view in which to apply your filtes. You should always maintain at least one unfiltered view. I recommend creating at least two other view: A main view and a view for filter testing. Your main view would include any filters you would like to use and your testing view is where you test new filters to insure that they work because filters are destructive.

2. I prefer to always custom filters , just old school in that regard. IF you do use a custom exclude filter it should be in this format: an ip address of 1.1.1.1 should look like 1\.1\.1\.1 or even ^1\.1\.1\.1 $

You could also create your filter in a new test view, but create it as an include that's the only way to see what data you are excluding and is easier to see if it's working. Once verified you could copy the pattern to your exclude filter.

Hope that helps.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn