Analytics
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking social referrals

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everybody,

I would like to track those users that land to my website through social media, which is the best way to do this?

I was going to create a "Social" view, then create a filter to track social referrals, and maybe segment different platforms (linkedin, facebook etc..)

Do you have any suggestion?

Thanks a lot!

Giulia

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Tracking social referrals

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi there,

most visits from social media will hopefully be tracked as such so you'll see them in the social media channel reports.
However, mobile makes things trickier because when on your phone/tablet you're very often navigating away from an app and to a browser, which counts as direct traffic (a non-browser opens a browser or a webview in an app).

Ideally, make sure most links on your social media accounts linking back to your site contain campaign tracking parameters with the bare minimum of
"?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social" (for Facebook)

Otherwise a good chunk of your direct traffic can safely be considered as coming from mobile. Quick tip: use a report's Secondary Dimension to add the Mobile (Including Tablet) dimension.
VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan