Analytics
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking feature usage with events

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am trying to track what features of our web application are most used. In the end I want to make a graph which on one axis shows how often a feature is used and on the other axis by how many users it is used. I started by sending events to google analytics whenever one of our features is being used.

In google analytics we can then easily see the number of events within a certain time period. What is harder is to see the number of users that used the feature in a certain time period. The only way I found to do this is to create a segment for each feature which defines all the users that sent such an event. When querying in google Analytics you can only select up-to 4 segments. Since we are tracking many features this becomes very cumbersome, especially for exporting to google sheets. 

Right now I am looking into the google spreadsheet add-on for google analytics. I wonder if there is a way to query for multiple segments at once and show the results in one sheet rather than creating a different sheet for each segment? Or is there a better way to do this entirely?

Thanks in advance Smiley Happy

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Tracking feature usage with events

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Stefan,

you're on the right track with segments.
You may want to look into the reporting API to pull data from Google Analytics, each time with a different segment.

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/reporting/core/v4/
VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan