AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking feature usage with events

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am trying to track what features of our web application are most used. In the end I want to make a graph which on one axis shows how often a feature is used and on the other axis by how many users it is used. I started by sending events to google analytics whenever one of our features is being used.

In google analytics we can then easily see the number of events within a certain time period. What is harder is to see the number of users that used the feature in a certain time period. The only way I found to do this is to create a segment for each feature which defines all the users that sent such an event. When querying in google Analytics you can only select up-to 4 segments. Since we are tracking many features this becomes very cumbersome, especially for exporting to google sheets. 

Right now I am looking into the google spreadsheet add-on for google analytics. I wonder if there is a way to query for multiple segments at once and show the results in one sheet rather than creating a different sheet for each segment? Or is there a better way to do this entirely?

Thanks in advance Smiley Happy

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Tracking feature usage with events

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Stefan,

you're on the right track with segments.
You may want to look into the reporting API to pull data from Google Analytics, each time with a different segment.

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/reporting/core/v4/
VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan