Analytics
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Targeting IP Addresses

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm attempting to target groups of IP Addresses. In doing that, I want to be able to see the segments and see how those segments are interacting with the website using Event Triggers that we setup using Google Tag Manager.

I've wracked my brain to find out a way to do this, called Analytics support, and asked around. So, any advice on how to make this happen? Oh, and I thought about multiple Include filters - that's not a good solution...

Re: Targeting IP Addresses

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi there,

Google Analytics doesn't store IP addresses. However, if you know the addresses it is definitely possible to isolate them.

However, you cannot accomplish this through segments in Google Analytics. But happily for you there is another possibility.

You need to set up a separate view where you add ONE include filter for all the IP addresses you want to see.
In order to accomplish this you need to set up a regular expression.

If you have a range to include, this tool will be a great help:
http://www.analyticsmarket.com/freetools/ipregex

If you need to include different IP addresses (not in a range), you need to build a regular expression.
Example, you want to include 63.212.171.1 and 63.211.172.2
^63\.212\.171\.1$|^63\.211\.172\.2$

^ -> to define starting point
| -> OR
$ -> to define end point

If you need more help, I recommend to check out two of my most popular guides:
http://online-metrics.com/regular-expressions/
http://online-metrics.com/google-analytics-filters/

Hope this helps you out!
Paul

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Paul,

Solid reply. But I forgot that I tried this as well. For some of the segments, I've got over 300 IP Addresses, which goes over the field limit, especially when you put RegEx into the field. I was going to do that over multiple Include filters but that's also not a usable option. Any other ideas?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
If you can't catch them with a pattern match via Regex under the character limit, I think there is no direct IP filter solution here.

Is there any other way you could recognize them (via a (combination of) dimension(s))? Or you simply have IP addresses (in different regions) but no more information?

You need a pattern in one way or the other.

Otherwise I have my doubts whether it's possible to achieve this.
Paul

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
There's no pattern match sadly. I may be able to create a custom dimension in Google Tag Manager but I'll still need to identify the IP Address prior to creating the custom dimension. These are specific IP addresses, not regions.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
I am sorry, but I think then I can't help you further on that. Hope that you can still find a solution!

Best,
Paul