Analytics
3.5K members online now
3.5K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Tags not fired on particular event for Google Tag Manager and Google Analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am trying to track all click events for particular classes when someone clicks "click to show phone number". There are multiple locations to track.

In Google Tag Manager, I have created this trigger:

Screen Shot 2017-01-10 at 11.28.14 am.png

With the Click Classes, the procedure used to build out the custom classes listed above was adding a generic trigger that captured all clicks and then I filtered it by using the debugging mode of Google Tag Manager and then clicking a particular phone number on the web page which resulted in a gtm.click in which I was then able to see the variable, Click Classes. I then repeated this for all locations in order to get the unique Click Classes. I have produced below an example of the Click Class for your review:

Screen Shot 2017-01-10 at 11.30.27 am.png

After, I associated the tag with the Trigger:

Screen Shot 2017-01-10 at 11.35.03 am.png

Despite all this, the tags are not fired on the event:

Screen Shot 2017-01-10 at 11.37.00 am.png

What am I doing wrong?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author emmanuel77
January 2017

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @emmanuel77

I think the trouble is in your trigger configuration. It implies "Fire this trigger when an Event occurs and all of these conditions are true " while i assume you meant "any of these".

I recommend you to reconfigure your trigger to "matching Regex" with expression that would match all your possible values such as

(athol|brighton|findon|...) or use Lookup  Table Vareible over the {{Click classes}} to generate single value to fire event.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @emmanuel77,

One step to take is to install Google Tag Assistant, a free Google Chrome browser extension. Then turn on recordings and proceed through your website as a consumer would (start to finish) and then review the recording to learn so much about your tracking code. You will enjoy the process and learn a lot, too. This help file will show you the what, how and why with Google Tag Assistant. 

Kind Regards,

James

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author emmanuel77
January 2017

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @emmanuel77

I think the trouble is in your trigger configuration. It implies "Fire this trigger when an Event occurs and all of these conditions are true " while i assume you meant "any of these".

I recommend you to reconfigure your trigger to "matching Regex" with expression that would match all your possible values such as

(athol|brighton|findon|...) or use Lookup  Table Vareible over the {{Click classes}} to generate single value to fire event.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you!

Your advice was correct. I amended the CSS class in order to implement a generic and a {{Click Classes}} in order to pick up what I wanted to track.

Thanks once again!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you, your advice was helpful.