Analytics
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Tag visitor who visit a specific page at any point and filter them out from a view permanently

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

HI,

I am trying to filter out any and all data coming from people who at some point landed on a specific page and remove all their data from a view permanently as if they have never visited the site.

Once they land on this page would like to remove all past history and future history on a specific analytic view.

Example:

for any "user" that at some point landed on www.domainname.com/specialpage.html filter out all his footprints completely from an analytic view.

I would like this view to not include any info whatsoever on all these users as if they never visited the website.

Thank you.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Tag visitor who visit a specific page at any point and filter them out from a view permanently

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

once the data is stores in a GA view it cannot be changed or removed. you might have to filter out such visits while sending the data to GA or in the filters section of the GA view.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Can I prevent data from being stored going forward once he hits that specific page? 

Perhaps adding something to his cookie that will suggest GA to ignore him completely going forward?

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

sure. for that specific page some custom JS code can be added, which will exclude all future hits being sent to GA.

window['ga-disable-UA-XXXXX-Y'] = true;

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/user-opt-out

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

If window['ga-disable-UA-XXXXX-Y'] = true;

is set on 1 specific page it will disable all tracking(on any page related to this UA#)  only for those people who landed on the page with this is code?

is this correct?

thanks

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

it will be set on that specific page and moving forward on all pages for that visitor.

so a cookie based condition might help you implement this.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I'm not much of a techie, but I'm guessing that the custom JS code that A T suggested will simply disable tracking for the pages it is put in, as opposed to disabling tracking for the user altogether.

With your scenario, I'd create a custom dimension that gets triggered when a user visits this page, and set the dimension's scope at the "User" level. And then I'd create a custom filter to exclude all visits that have the triggered value for this custom dimension.

Hope this works.

KK

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you all for your help.

Karthik, as you mentioned I am looking for a solution that once any user reaches a predefined page that all data on this  user alltogether will not show for any page he visits in any session.

as an example:

if I have a retail site with a wholesale login page wich (includes 2-3 pages) only wholesalers can access via the retail site. I want to tag all My wholesalers so I can have a view "clean" of all data they sending to GA regardless if it's from them browsing around the retail pages or wholesale pages in  perpetuity.

keep in mind in some sessions they may only visit the retail pages but still don't want there data shown.

thank you!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Adam,

Yes, I understand. My suggestion is still the same. Here's an example.

1. You create a cookie (say, {"clientType": "wholesaler"}) and store it in your user's browser if and when the user goes to your wholesale login page.

2. You create a custom dimension in your Google Analytics (say, "customerType"), set its scope to "User" level, and assign the above cookie's value to it. (Here's the documentation on how to do it: https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/custom-dims-mets)

3. You create a view filter in your Google Analytics to exclude all sessions which have the assigned value ("wholesaler") against your custom dimension.

This way, Google Analytics will filter out all sessions from the user from the moment they get the cookie, unless the cookie's value changes in future (in this case, the value never changes, because the assignment of the cookie can't be undone even if the user doesn't visit the wholesale page ever again).

There's one caveat in this method. This doesn't work across devices. If a wholesaler gets the cookie using his PC, and later visits your website on his tablet, he'd be considered as a normal user.

Hope this helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you @karthik k.

Yes i understand if user uses a different device or browser he will need to visit wholesale page again so cookie gets installed on that particular device/browser.

To take this one step further, is there a way for GA/cookie to extract the ip of these "wholesaler" and filter out the ip address as well or am i going a step too far Smiley Happy ?