AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Suggestins Running Exit Report

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

In running my "Behavior -> Site Content -> Exit Pages" report, and I am being served with a report that has hundreds of pages and the report needs some cleaning up before I can begin to do any meaningful analysis.  I am looking for suggestions on the best way to approach the cleanup, ie, aggregating pages, filtering pages from the report, etc..   I am hoping I can share my report for suggestions on the best approach to proceed.  Please advise how I can share my report view otherwise I can send a .csv copy of my report..

All the best ,

NLC

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author norm c
June 2016

Re: Suggestins Running Exit Report

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi Norm,

You could create a segment based upon those pages or a transaction but your segment would still include all pages in those sessions so you would still need to filter the table so that might be your best bet. That or download and filter in Excel.

Lastly you can exclude query parameters (moving forward as you pointed out) by adding the params in Admin>>View Settings>>Exclude URL Query Parameters, without actually creating a filter. You could do this in your analysis views, make an annotation and leave your unfiltered alone if you like. I usually recommend a change like this be done on the last day of the month, close of business. That way you get a cleaner month over month view.

In the interim, you may want to just to advanced report filters to exclude and or isolate the pages you want.

Remarkably there is not much in the official help docs ( I just got a blog post idea Smiley Happy ) but this will get you started:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2936903?hl=en

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Norm,

First a question: What do you hope to learn from the Exit Pages report?

Users have to leave your site from somewhere and most do without converting which is normally from your most popular pages. I don't normally recommend looking at exits unless it's a checkout flow or a distinctive path or form.

If; however, you were segmenting the data, you may find some value in the report. I typically am more interested in users that bounce so spend more time looking at the landing pages report and segmenting from there.

Hope that helps...

Best,

Theo Bennett

Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Theo - Thanks for taking the time..

I am looking to better understand the data being reported and if there are any trends. For example, if there are high instances of users exiting at a page other thank the checkout thank you page. Also to verify that a high number exits are resulting at the thank you page. My biggest problem is that there are hundreds are dynamically generated pages in this report so the unfiltered data being served is cluttered....In the case of the thank you page for instance, each completed checkout is generating it's own destination ULR, the urls begin with /thank-you/ and then are followed with a dynamically generated data....I develop better analysis if I can combine the similar pages and condense the clutter. I'd prefer not to add a filter at the view level as I'd like to be able to apply the filters as needed and the view level filters are not retroactive... Is this something I would accomplish through creating a segment?

All the best,

Norm
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author norm c
June 2016

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi Norm,

You could create a segment based upon those pages or a transaction but your segment would still include all pages in those sessions so you would still need to filter the table so that might be your best bet. That or download and filter in Excel.

Lastly you can exclude query parameters (moving forward as you pointed out) by adding the params in Admin>>View Settings>>Exclude URL Query Parameters, without actually creating a filter. You could do this in your analysis views, make an annotation and leave your unfiltered alone if you like. I usually recommend a change like this be done on the last day of the month, close of business. That way you get a cleaner month over month view.

In the interim, you may want to just to advanced report filters to exclude and or isolate the pages you want.

Remarkably there is not much in the official help docs ( I just got a blog post idea Smiley Happy ) but this will get you started:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2936903?hl=en

Best,

Theo Bennett
Connect on LinkedIn