Analytics
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Subdomain traffic filter problem

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm experiencing a strange issue with filters in GA with only 1 subdomain filter. Let me try to summarize it:

1. I have an aggregate view called Basic and it's tracking traffic on multiple subdomain (blog.domain.com, domain.com, builder.beta.domain.com)

2. I have another views just to track subdomain traffic and everything works fine, in both real time reports and historical view.

Blog only view tracks only blog traffic with following filter:

Predefined -> Include only -> traffic to the hostname -> that contains -> Hostname: blog.domain.com

Beta only view tracks only traffic on beta subdomain with following filter

Predefined -> Include only -> traffic to the hostname -> that contains -> Hostname: builder.beta.domain.com

However, I'm having a problem with another views, new.domain.com

I've tried using:

View1
- the same filter as in the examples above, Predefined -> Include only -> traffic to the hostname -> that contains -> Hostname: new.domain.com 

View2

- custom -> include -> hostname -> ^new\.domain\.com$

- custom -> include -> hostname -> new\.domain\.com

In none of those view, I'm not getting anything under Real-time -> overview reports, despite using the same filter in View1 or usual filter that I've found here in similar posts. Also, as I said, I'm seeing the users activity in both Real time and historical report in Basic view and for those 2 different subdomain.

Can someone please explain me why? How is it that with the same filter, but with the different subdomain prefix tracking's not working? 

I'm seeing some traffic in Audience overview report, but since I've changed filters a lot in the last few days, not sure if this traffic is any good indicator
View1 - image

View2 - image

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi :-)
1) Have you checked that the tracking code for the applicable property is installed on the pages of new.domain.com

2) Are there any other filters already applied to View 1 and/or View 2. Using more than one include filter for the same Filter Field wont usually work as filters work in the order they are applied.. and if a visit doesnt fulfill the first filter's condition, the visit gets discarded and doesnt get seen by the 2nd filter at all

3) I tend to get more exact with filters and use that are equal to, rather than that contain

Something else to keep in mind too, while it doesnt happen often, sometimes it can take up to a couple of hours for changes to filters etc to show in the realtime reporting.

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Bronwyn V Smiley Happy

1) if the tracking code isn't installed on the pages of new.domain.com, then I wouldn't be able to see it under the Basic why where I track all of the traffic on domain and subdomain? I also thought of this, but as I can see the traffic in other views, it doesn't make any sense to me that the problem is with the tracking code. Am I missing something?

2) No, there aren't any other filters

3) tried with that one also, but nothing. I switched to that contains as the same filter is on blog.domain.com and builder.beta.domain.com and it's working like a charm?

I've waited even a few days to check real time reports, but still nothing Smiley Sad

Re: Subdomain traffic filter problem

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

1) if the tracking code isn't installed on the pages of new.domain.com, then I wouldn't be able to see it under the Basic why where I track all of the traffic on domain and subdomain? I also thought of this, but as I can see the traffic in other views, it doesn't make any sense to me that the problem is with the tracking code. Am I missing something?

Sorry, i didnt know it was being seen in the Basic View from your initial post - 

1. I have an aggregate view called Basic and it's tracking traffic on multiple subdomain (blog.domain.com, domain.com, builder.beta.domain.com) 2. I have another views just to track subdomain traffic and everything works fine, in both real time reports and historical view. Blog only view tracks only blog traffic with following filter: Predefined -> Include only -> traffic to the hostname -> that contains -> Hostname: blog.domain.com Beta only view tracks only traffic on beta subdomain with following filter Predefined -> Include only -> traffic to the hostname -> that contains -> Hostname: builder.beta.domain.com

If the data you are seeing in the new.domain.com view is spam data or there is some sort of error with the page code, it may be why you are not seeing any real time data and the data you currently see in the View may not be data from real visits.

Are you able to possibly give the subdomain url to allow one of us to check it via browser.

eta. also are you using desktop or mobile device when testing? 
If you are using a mobile device, hits are not always sent at the time they occur, mobile devices often batch hits and send a number of them thru together at the same time to conserve battery life, which may also cause them not to be seen in the real time reporting.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Bronwyn V Sorry, maybe I haven't made it clear in the first post that I can see the traffic in the Basic view Smiley Happy

I'm using multiple desktop devices to check the traffic, but still nothing in the real-time reports in that specific view. You can check the domain on this link

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Is new.domain.com meant to be tracking as a seperate and independent entity/domain, 
or,

is it meant to be subdomain tracked and share session/cookie info etc between 

the main domain www.domain.com (and other related subdomain.domain.coms)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

For now, it's meant to be a subdomain tracked and share sessions/cookies info between domain and subdomains. In the future, this subdomain will become a new homepage (we'll migrate content from new.domain.com to domain.com)

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Robert S
March

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

The view created for new.domain.com, is it correct that it is a View belonging to Property UA-807293-5?

I notice code on the main domain www.domain.com is configured for cross domain tracking (however it's not clear on where it's cross domain tracking to, as the secondary domain is also entered as domain.com rather than secondarydomain.com). Display tracking is also enabled in the tracking code snippet.

Tracking between www.domain.com and subdomain.domain.com and new.domain.com doesnt require cross domain tracking with linkers etc setup, subdomain tracking just requires the cookieDomain  of all snippets to be set to auto, which it should be by default.

Usually where cross domain and/or subdomain tracking is occurring, where changes are made to tracking code such as enabling display tracking, the same changes should be applied to all tracking code snippets for the same property.
Have you tried modifying the snippet on new.domain.com to also enable display tracking?

eta
Does the View created for new.domain.com show real time data when absolutely no filters are applied to it and you visit it?
Also, something else i have observed over the years, and there seems to be no rhyme or reason to why/when it occurs,
sometimes a View will not start to show tracked data unless you go into Settings page for the particular View and save the actual View settings.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We'll update the snippet on new.domain.com to match the one on domain.com, but we'll exclude the 2 lines for `linker`. I'll keep you updated if the snippet adjustments fixes this issue.

When I create a new View without any filter, I'm seeing the data for domain.com and all subdomains in real time, so it works. 

Clicking save button under Settings page, but that doesn't help. However, tnx for the tip Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Bronwyn V just a quick update on this one, I've found the solution Smiley Happy

Basically, I copied the Blog only view, changed filter hostname from blog.domain.com to new.domain.com and I can see visits in Real-time report Smiley Happy 

Not sure why it worked, but I'm glad it did. Thank you so much for your help! Drinks on me first time we see each other ^^