AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Subdomain Referrals - Not excluding Domain

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So, I've been reading from nearly every article about subdomain tracking that one needs to put the domain on the referral exclusions list. I am not sure if I should - here is my current situation:

We are about to start using a subdomain for our interactive annual report (AR.mysite.com).

We want to make sure we track referrals from our blog (mysite.com/year/date/title…) to the subdomain. 

If I exclude the domain (mysite.com) from referrals, I am assuming we will see the referral that got them to the blog post itself. I don’t necessarily want to see this, because I would like to measure how successful the blog post itself was in referring users to the annual report subdomain.

So, I would like to see the referral come from the blog post at mysite.com, not from how the user got to the blog post to begin with.

How can I get around this?! 

#headache

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Geri K
November 2015

Re: Subdomain Referrals - Not excluding Domain

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Geri,

in any case leave the referral exclusion to exclude all your domains in the process (subdomains are not needed) so if you have domain.com and sub.domain.com in that case just exclude domain.com.

Session and users metric will stay as is as long as the cookieDomain is set to auto which is the case with the default Google Analytics tracking code (universal).

Tracking the event will not inflate users and session metrics.

No, do not track this as a campaign - meaning do not add UTM parameters to the link.

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Geri,

it would be best if you do not see self referrals in your GA reports yet use event tracking feature to track when a user crosses from main domain to sub domain. This will allow you to create custom segments and report on how efficient was the entire process of funneling users from one site to another.

Kind regards,
Zorin

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi! Thanks so much for your response.
When I disable the self referrals, it will still track the page views and count it as one session, when going from domain to subdomain, correct?
Tracking the event will not inflate those numbers, right? Also, I would not want to do this as a campaign instead?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Geri K
November 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Geri,

in any case leave the referral exclusion to exclude all your domains in the process (subdomains are not needed) so if you have domain.com and sub.domain.com in that case just exclude domain.com.

Session and users metric will stay as is as long as the cookieDomain is set to auto which is the case with the default Google Analytics tracking code (universal).

Tracking the event will not inflate users and session metrics.

No, do not track this as a campaign - meaning do not add UTM parameters to the link.

Kind regards,
Zorin