Analytics
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Struggling with filters

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi I'm a bit of a newbie, working my way through Joel Davis' excellent book on Analytics but I've hit a problem

I'm trying to filter on referral traffic from facebook and have created a couple of test views, they are both INCLUDE filters, one to Include only traffic from the ISP domain that end with facebook.com and the other to Include only traffic from the ISP domain that (are) equal to www.facebook.com

Neither of these are returning any results even though my unfiltered view does show referral traffic from facebook since the filters were created.

What am I doing wrong ?

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author mike l
January 2016

Re: Struggling with filters

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Mike,
instead of using the ISP domain field to filter on use Campaign Source which will exclude / include traffic from facebook.com.

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Zorin, that gives me some results. Any idea why my original approach wasn't working ?
Mike

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Mike,

happy to hear it is workingSmiley Happy The issue was the ISP domain dimension does not contain information on the source of traffic but about the internet service provider in short it could mean you were blocking people who work at facebook and visit your site regardless on how they came to the site.

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey guys,

I have a similar issue. Just yesterday I created a simple search and replace filter for Campaign Source that started showing results but from the moment I created the filter. All the previous data is still under the unfiltered view. Does it need more time to apply the filter to the entire data in GA? Thanks!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Bojan
I think the filter will only report data from after the filter has been created, I don't know any way round that

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for replying Mike!

Actually, this is what Google says:
"Filters are destructive. Filtering your incoming hits permanently changes those hits in that view, according to the type of filter. Therefore, you should ALWAYS maintain an unfiltered view of your data."
According to this I believe that the filter is applied all data?