AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3.3K members online now
3.3K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Someone Copied Our Website including our Google Analytics code and ID. What To Do?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Homesteadbakery.com not only copied our copyrighted website design and HTML, JS and CSS code onto their domain, pretty much as is, but also copied our Google Analytics code and ID, so it is reporting their domain into our GA account as a "redundant hostname"

What concerns should we have with this?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Someone Copied Our Website including our Google Analytics code and ID. What To Do?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi :-)
Create a new View in google analytics, and apply an include hostname filter for your domain name, so as the new View going forward will not include data from their domain (golden rule is to always leave the initial view without filters even if it has incorrect data, this way there is always an unedited copy of data for reporting purposes should it be needed at any stage).
The following article has a good explanation and example of how to create and include hostname filter
http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2015/12/10/basic-google-analytics-filters/#Include Specific Hostname

Regarding the violation of copyright re design, code etc is a legal issue and not within the scope of the Google Analytics Community.
If it were me, I would seek legal advice and look into a sending them or their hosting a company a takedown notice.

Thanks
Bronwyn
Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here