Analytics
5K members online now
5K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Site Search and Query Parameter Filters

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
If I create a Filter in a view that strips all query parameter strings, will that filter occur before the Site Search process? Meaning I won't be able to record my site search terms because the designated query parameter will be stripped off before Site Search? Any suggestions if that is what happens to get a view with no query strings but still be able to capture Site Search?
1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jeff T
January 2016

Re: Site Search and Query Parameter Filters

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Jeff - Filters mostly trump all settings - so when you strip query params with view filter site search will not work by default.

A workaround would be something like this:
1. Create filter which preserver the query param value from Request URI to a Custom Field
2. Edit request URI and add something like .../search/search-term/...
3. Remove all query params
4. Push /search/(.*)/$ $A1 to Site Search Term field

Before you do any of this create a new view and test on the new view.

Other options are to send data to GA with already prepared page dimension so you do not have to mess with filters so instead of /?searchKey=someValue you would send /search/someValue/.

Hope it helps!

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jeff T
January 2016

Re: Site Search and Query Parameter Filters

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Jeff - Filters mostly trump all settings - so when you strip query params with view filter site search will not work by default.

A workaround would be something like this:
1. Create filter which preserver the query param value from Request URI to a Custom Field
2. Edit request URI and add something like .../search/search-term/...
3. Remove all query params
4. Push /search/(.*)/$ $A1 to Site Search Term field

Before you do any of this create a new view and test on the new view.

Other options are to send data to GA with already prepared page dimension so you do not have to mess with filters so instead of /?searchKey=someValue you would send /search/someValue/.

Hope it helps!

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net