Analytics
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border
Highlighted

Should I filter out service provider = microsoft corporation?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi! In a nutshell, my question is, if we have Bing Ads running, will filtering out "service provider = microsoft corporation" block us from seeing legitimate traffic coming from our Bing Ads? Here are more details:

We have both Bing Ads and Google AdWords campaigns running. We just updated our paid-ad URL structure to include "&utm_keyword={keyword}" at the end of each URL for ROI tracking purposes. Within 24-48 hours, Google Analytics saw a massive spike in overall web traffic (2x our second-highest daily session count for 2018) with the vast majority coming from bing ads/ppc as the source/medium. The hostname for all suspect traffic is our hostname so that checks out. However, the service provider for the majority of suspect traffic is "microsoft corporation", with the exact same number of "microsoft corporation" traffic having browser version "58.0" Firefox. Adding further complexity, "microsoft corporation" traffic shows 17 seconds avg session duration, and more than 1 page per session. There is history of some intermittent "microsoft corporation" traffic looking back in time, but not nearly as much as there was yesterday, ever. 

5.15.18 web spike.JPG

Thanks for your help! Smiley Happy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author DFind
1w

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

Yes, you can exclude the "Microsoft Corporation" as the service provider and also exclude spam filters from GA view.

Check this Document will help you to setup exclude Spam filters on GA.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author DFind
1w

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

Yes, you can exclude the "Microsoft Corporation" as the service provider and also exclude spam filters from GA view.

Check this Document will help you to setup exclude Spam filters on GA.