Analytics
3K members online now
3K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Setting up Site Search

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

I am looking for some help setting up Site Search for my website.  It is an internal website our company uses.  The search engine was custom built.  I am not entirely sure what to put as my "search parameter".  This is an example of a site search URL.  

https://evolution.yp.ca/group/yp-insight/insight-home?p_p_id=ypSearchPortlet_WAR_ypPortletFormsportl...

Could someone help me?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Setting up Site Search

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Jessie,

which field contains the search phrase/keyword you typed?
Once you isolate that parameter (let's call it ypSearchTerm for now, until you find the real parameter), go to your view's admin panel and under View settings, scroll down all the way to activate Site Search and in Search parameters, enter ypSearchTerm (or whatever you found the parameter to be). Then check the box below to exclude search terms from your URLs to avoid page duplication in your page reports.

Also, judging from the URL you shared, you may need to go to the top of the view settings and do some serious parameter-scaping to exclude application URL parameters that will have no bearing for your analysis in GA.
VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Jessie!

From the URL you indicated, it is not totally clear what was your query.

The 'Search parameter' field should be valorized with the parameter that holds your query in the URL of the page with the results of your query.

For example:

• if you make the query "Books" through the internal search engine,
  • and the website is configured in order to show your query inside the URL of the results page,

after performing the query, you should land on a page like:
https://evolution.yp.ca/group/yp-insight/insight-home?parameter_name1=Books&p_p_id=ypSearchPortlet_WAR_ypPortletFormsportl&....

In this specific example "parameter_name1" is the parameter which holds your query, and it should be the value inserted in the 'Search parameter' field.

Another example: if you search something in the search bar of this very site (www.en.advertisercommunity.com), then the search parameter would be "q":

Schermata 2016-07-12 alle 15.20.03.png

Feel free to ask further questions if you have any doubts!

Kind regards,

Elena

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Julien,

I am not entirely sure the answer to your first question.
This is all very new to me, and I don't have much support on my side as no one knows the ins and outs of google analytics on our team. I have been taking the courses in the analytics academy but noticed that the site search was not set up which is extremely important for me.

This may sound like a silly question and for that I apologize, but how would I determine "which field contains the search phrase/keyword you typed?"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I think this is because they made a custom search engine for our internal site.
There isn't anything I can do to fix that. The URLs look the same, everytime I search something.

Does that mean that this type of site search likely will not work?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I just looked at the URL again, the term bolded is the one I actually searched for.  Does this help?

https://evolution.yp.ca/group/yp-insight/insight?p_p_id=ypSearchPortlet_WAR_ypPortletFormsportlet&p_...netsync&_ypSearchPortlet_WAR_ypPortletFormsportlet_page=0&_ypSearchPortlet_WAR_ypPortletFormsportlet_searched=true&_ypSearchPortlet_WAR_ypPortletFormsportlet_total=15&_ypSearchPortlet_WAR_ypPortletFormsportlet_lastPageNumber=1&_ypSearchPortlet_WAR_ypPortletFormsportlet_start=1&_ypSearchPortlet_WAR_ypPortletFormsportlet_end=10&_ypSearchPortlet_WAR_ypPortletFormsportlet_lastPage=false&_ypSearchPortlet_WAR_ypPortletFormsportlet_reloadLanguage=false

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
ok so use my instructions and use
_ypSearchPortlet_WAR_ypPortletFormsportlet_criteriaSearch
as your search parameter in your view settings
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Jessie,

I took a look at your URL and the highlighted term, it looks like "

_ypSearchPortlet_WAR_ypPortletFormsportlet_criteriaSearch"

" is the parameter to insert into the 'Search parameter' field!

It should work fine now,

let me know if you any further doubts Smiley Happy

Regards,

Elena

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Like so:

Screenshot 2016-07-12 15.36.30.png

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Awesome - I knew how to add the parameter's just wasn't too sure what the parameter should be. Thanks a lot I really appreciate your help!!