Analytics
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Setting custom dimension with an advanced filter does not seem to work

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

I'm struggling with GA filter implementation. I have a custom dimension that has a session scope. I want to set this custom dimension whenever certain pages are visited during that session (in practice, I want to set the dimension1 = pro when certain professional user pages are visited) to understand how many sessions are such that have at least some "pro" activity. So I implemented an advanced filter that checks if a certain keyword is mentioned in request URI and if it is, it sets a fixed string ("pro") to that (session) custom dimension.

Then, to debug if this is working, I created Segment1 = "dimension1 exactly matches pro" set and another segment Segment2 = "dimension1 exactly does not match pro"

The problem is: When I make a custom report that reports all pageviews by pages and show them by those segments, I see that there are "pro" page pageviews that are listed under Segment2. Somehow those pages are not linked to such a session that is marked as "pro". It seems that the advanced filter seems to be working for some 80-90% of the pro pages and for the rest it's not correctly setting the custom dimension.

What an earth might be the root cause for this problem?

Re: Setting custom dimension with an advanced filter does not seem to

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Filters, I believe, always operate at the hit level. Your custom dimension is scoped at the session level. So the way you have it set up would mean that your custom dimension will always have the value determined by the last page view in a session.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes, that is exactly what is meant to be. The whole session is considered as a "pro" session if a single "pro" page is visited during the session. So that's intended behavior.

The problem is, the session level custom dimension sometimes is not set although several "pro" pages are visited during a session. Most of the times it is set correctly. There is something in how GA behaves that I don't understand now.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Yes, but they probably aren't the last page in the session. Since the filter is applied at the hit level and a session is a sequence of hits, then you're session dimension will be set by the last hit in the session.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'll describe my situation in a bit more detail... Let's assume the following hits:
Hit 1: /login.aspx
Hit 2: /basic/page1
Hit 3: /basic/page2
Hit 4: /pro/page1
Hit 5: /logout

Now the advanced filter that I made is as follows:
Field A (Request URI): [/]pro(.')
Field B: -
Output to dimension1: pro
Field A required: Yes

Now if I have understood correctly, this setup should ensure that dimension1 is actually only written on hit 4 and not the other hits (as field A is required). Thus, this session should have dimension1 = pro. But many times it doesn't have, which puzzles me.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
One thing came to my mind... I have some exclude filters. Do the exclude filters work so that the hits are not processed by the subsequent filters in the same view?

IF the excluded hits are still processed by the later filters in the sequence, then some of my other filters may mess this up...

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

GA view filters have Rank associated with them.

Depending on the rank assigned they would execute.

Best Regards,
GA Guru.

'Star' or 'Accept as Solution' if it helped.