AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Set filters for different sites in the same organisation

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all, 

I'm trying to set GA in a complex organisation and I'm struggling. Basically this is the structure.

Main site: www.web.com (lead generation site)

Private area for existing clients: www.private.web.com  (Informative site-download documents)

Online shop (only existing clients can purchase products) : www.shop.com  (products sales)

Blog (public acquisition site): www.blog.web.com   (generate traffic/SEO/potential customer acquisition-Sign up)

I would like to be able to segment the traffic in all sites based on existing clients, all traffic without existing clients, new visits without existing clients, blog visitors without existing clients and so on. The point is to get rid of the current clients in the reports so I can measure my acquisition campaigns. 

I would also be really handy (ppc, remarketing,...) to have views considering what I mentioned before. For instance, Blog view without Existing clients,  Main site view without Existing clients and so on. 

The question is: Is it possible? If so, shall I use the same property in all sites?

Can I get the views I mentioned above? If so, what filters would I need to set?

Should I use the same property and then get all my insights through custom reports?

Any suggestion or idea will be welcome.

Many thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Set filters for different sites in the same organisation

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Jaime,

Generally, best practice for discerning clients from plain users in Analytics is to mark clients with a user-scope custom dimension and then use custom segments in your reports to distinguish the various customer levels. You would have to set up cross-domain tracking in your website portfolio first to make that work across domains (best with Google Tag Manager). Setting such a custom dimension (like 'customer level'='client') is done normally after login.

Christoph