AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3.3K members online now
3.3K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Session duration for specific parts of the website

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

If I filter my report to only look at specific sub-domains of my website (www.site.com/sectionA), I am able to get a session length. However, I'm not sure how this works, as it seems like it shouldn't.

For instance: 

www.site.com session duration = 2:30 (entire website)

www.site.com filtered for /sectionA sub-domain = 2:15 

www.site.com filtered for /sectionB sub-domain = 2:35

Why would this work? People who are visiting the site might all stay within sectionA, but they might visit sectionA, B, or wherever else. Is this a filter I can use on this metric? If not, what overall metric can I use? Can I use average time on page to cover multiple pages of the site?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Recommend reading this topic to get a better picture. Check out this article as well.

Hope this helps.
Taavi

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Litmon,

It might be best for you to create 3 separate views:

1. your entire site

2. Sub domain A

3. Sub domain B

This way you can get a clearer picture of session length.

Like you said above, segments can be quite tricky in the sense that session level segments can include sessions where a user navigated to one of those subdomains. Where as the view which only holds data about that subdomain could answer your question more clearly.

Thanks,