Analytics
6.4K members online now
6.4K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Segments vs. Secondary Dimensions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

What's the difference between segments and secondary dimensions? In my mind they should work the same, but when I apply the same parameters to either, I get different numbers.

For example, if I create a segment that was for all traffic sourced from "extension" and apply it to all content, it would give me one number, but when I set up source as a secondary dimension and filter out only values containing "extension" (for all content), I got another number. 

Another thing I noticed is that when I applied the same segment from above (source contains "extension") and then put source as the secondary dimension, there were still multiple sources listed in the secondary dimension column, instead of just "extension" as I would have expected.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jack V
May

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jack,

Segments are a way to isolate a subset of users or sessions based on their behavioral parameters. It's possible to do hit level segmentation as well using e-commerce section or sequence based segments.

Table filters work on the hit level so if you use them you'll see only the subset of hits, not the hits that happened during the whole session or user journey.

Generally, segments are applied at the session or user level, table filters work on the hit level.

@Jack v, I recommend reading this excellent article written by Paul Koks.

Cheers,
Taavi

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Taavi!