Analytics
6.1K members online now
6.1K members online now
Ask questions about filter set-up and issues with using filters in Google Analytics reports

Guide Me
star_border

Segments showing different pages

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone!

I created some segments to isolate traffic in a specific category of the website. However when I apply the segment view and go to BEHAVIOR > SITE CONTENT > ALL PAGES, I can see URLs that don't belong to the segment conditions that I used to build that segment.

Is this normal?

I would like to see the most visited pages in a particular category of the website ( /category/all ), is this the best way?

thank you 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Segments showing different pages

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi fred,
creating a segment you are not filtering out pageview, but you are selection session or user that navigate specific page, so in the report of most view pages you can see also the other pages that user navigated.

To get what you want i suggest you is use filter on the report instead of create a segment

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
thank you very much for your reply.

creating a filter will I be able to see all the pages that are in the wanted category? Or will the visits be shown as a whole (not specifying the individual pages)?

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
you will see pageview for every single page that is in that category.

Session is not a metric that you can see at page level (only to lading page) but to have a data that is very near to session you can look at unique pageview metric.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
thanks again.

I created 2 filters in a view:

include only > traffic to the subdirectories > that contain
1- /category (in english)
2- /category (in portuguese)

There was no traffic shown after I created the filter. Does the filter include the sum of both categories or the interception?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Fred H
June 2016

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
yes the filter use and booleans
you can create a single filter with a regex:

\/category(english)|\/category(portuguese)
Fil

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi again and thanks for you precious help.

I've never used regex. Please tell me if I'm doing the implementation correctly:

1 - The categories I want to measure are the following:

http://en.rotavicentina.com/accommodation
http://pt.rotavicentina.com/alojamento-casas-do-moinho-30.html

2 - In the filter type, I chose the following options:

Predefined > Include only > traffic to the subdirectories > that contain >

subdirectory:
\/accommodation|\/alojamento

Verifying the filter I got the following message:
"This filter would not have changed your data. Either the filter configuration is incorrect, or the set of sampled data is too small."

did I do something wrong?

thank you very much

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star
Hi Fred,

Filtro has already given you the regex in his reply:

\/category(english)|\/category(portuguese)

I would use your pattern from above and choose custom filter not predefined, then Give @filtro credit for authoring the solution.

Also, test this in a new view - do not apply it to an existing view that is used for analysis.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi!

Thanks all for the your help.

I tried @filtro 's solution, that I'm sure it is correct, but gave me that error message. Certainly is from an incorrect configuration that I did which I described in my previous post.

Could you kindly see if my steps were the correct ones?

Thank you very much

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
The "error" message is a warning, not an error. The verify filter function usually does not work unless there is a lot of volume of the filtered entity -- i.e. it is common to get that warning, even if the filter is correctly written.

Best to simply try it in a test view -- allow a few minutes after the filter is saved before you check the real-time reports because they don't pick up changes to filters immediately.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.